The War Memorial Village was developed between 1949 and 1955 to provide affordable accommodation for veterans injured in the conflict. Due to the developments age, it needed major refurbishment and upgrading works. The Trustees concluded that the best long-term solution was to demolish and rebuild. The project aimed to create homes that would be easy to manage, built to AD M4 (2) access standards and that were fit for the future with low running costs
Through use of triple glazing, high levels of insulation, air source heat pumps and solar panels, the running of the new homes is very cost efficient. Being specifically designed to M4(2) access standards, it is helping those with greater mobility issues to move around the home with much more ease. Covered car ports have been a major success with residents, who have to transfer from wheelchairs when entering or exiting their cars and are now able to do so under a sheltered environment rather than out in the driving rain. Residents have confirmed they are delighted with the layout and the quality of the build and have enjoyed the addition of shared gardens, increasing the sense of community and togetherness.